Tuesday 17 July 2018

NUTRITION AND ADHD FINE TUNING OUR FOODS

0 comments
NUTRITION AND ADHD
FINE TUNING OUR FOODS
Getting to know my new friend and their journey to wellness was amazing.  I hope she publishes her family's journey with their son at some point too.  



She was able to answer all the questions I had, because she had a very similar experience with her son, and chose to not medicate.  I'll post details of our diet changes in a later post (because it was such a big part of our success), but basically, our best bet was to change any packaged food to Organic.   I learned to cook and bake.  We cut out any and all foods that were processed (unless it was organic).  No more restaurants, no more fun "treats at school", no more birthday party foods.  We learned to make it just as tasty and bring it along to school or birthdays, or play dates.  

Wow, what a change it made in him.  We started having not only good days but good weeks.  When temptation got the best of him and he would choose to eat the food that was served at the birthday, or wherever he was,  it was very apparent that food was his sensitivity, and he was having a reaction.  It was a long hard process for both him and I...what 9 year old wants to bring his own cake to a friend's birthday?  But even he felt such a difference that he didn't put up a big fuss.  I'm not saying it was easy...very far from it, but he knew it was for the best.   

With all these changes, I felt like we were starting to win the battle.  However, it was still often enough that he was obviously not in control of himself.   I just wasn't able to pinpoint what was causing it.  Sometimes it would last one afternoon, sometimes it would last for a week, then he would return to having another "good day" or "good week".

I can say that seeing my son be in control of himself for even short times was more than I ever thought we'd see.  Now I wanted more for him, we weren't going to stop there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment